Kalaripayattu animal exercises improve:
KALARIPAYATTU ANIMAL POSTURES
There are 8 kalaripayattu animal postures – Ashta vadivu:
- Gajja Vadivu: Elephant posture
- Ashwa Vadivu: Horse posture
- Simha Vadivu: Lion posture
- Varaha Vadivu: Wild boar posture
- Kukuda Vadivu: Rooster posture
- Sarpa Vadivu: Snake posture
- Matsya Vadivu: Fish posture
- Marjara Vadivu: Cat posture
Kalaripayattu exercises related to animal postures
Best exercises for HIP MOBILITY, HAMSTRING FLEXIBILITY and CORE STRENGTH !!!
One of my favorite exercises related to animal posture is:
1. Valinju Amarnnu – stretch down into horse posture (Ashwa Vadivu).
Thiringu valingamarnnu – transition in Valinju Amarnnu (thiringu – turn),
Maari valingamarnnu – going backwards in Valinju Amarnnu (maari – backwards).
Extreme workout for BACK MUSCLES and LEG MUSCLES !!!
Kalaripayattu training includes also a lot of squat position. It occurs in exercises related to elephant posture and wild boar posture.
2. Othadi Amarnnu – exercise in elephant posture (Gajja Vadivu)
Thiringu othadiyil amarnnu – transition in Othadi Amarnu (thiringu – turn).
3. Keri Thanjam – exercise in wild boar posture (Varanasi Vadivu)
Maari Thanjam – going backwards in thanjam,
Improves BACK FLEXIBILITY !!!
Thachu valanju – sequence of circles. It is an exercise performed after othadi amarnnu.
It is similar to the exercises learned in acrobatics. It will help the person accomplish bridge position and standing from bridge position.
The first sequence we have learned during 1 month stay in Sreerangom C.V.N. Kalari was:
1. meypayattu – mey (body), payattu (practice).
Second sequence, which probably is the most important, was:
2. poothara thozhal – salutation.
Salutation is performed before each class. However, it is an advanced movement sequence. It requires both flexibility and familiarity with kalaripayattu kicks and kalaripayattu animal postures. This is why, mostly, it is not taught during the first classes.
CHECK ALSO KALARIPAYATTU KICKS AND OUR KALARIPAYATTU EXPERIENCE: