Chinese Red Dates | Jujube | 红枣 hóng zǎo
there are different forms of this fruit:
DRY (whole fruit) – it has a specific taste, not very sweet, but if you are sugar craving, eating this fruit may help you control it. It is spongy, soft but still consistent. If you want to compare it to a regular dry dates, the Chinese one are definitely less sweet, but the consistency seems similar.
DRY (cut fruit) – when I first ate it, I thought it is a wood. It is hard, crunchy and smells like wood.
JUJUBE AND CHINESE MEDICINE
Blood deficiency can be caused by poor Spleen and Stomach Qi. If the Spleen and Stomach luck the Qi, the digestion and food absorption will be weakened. This also mean that the blood supply is worsened. The following symptoms can appear:
- poor appetite
- lack of energy
- lack of muscle on the arm and legs
- sluggish bowel movements or bowel movements straight after eating
- bloating after eating
- stomach cramps or diarrhea from eating cold food
- light and shorter menstruation
If the Blood is in deficiency, it is also unable to properly moisturize Liver and Heart. That is considered as one of the major reasons for sleep disorders.
CHINESE RED DATES nutritional facts
While the dry one are rich in iron and calcium. This probably explains the chinese prescription of them. Iron is a component of hemoglobin inside the red blood cells and is responsible for oxygen transport. Calcium, apart from making the bones strong, is important in muscle contraction, blood clotting and nerve impulse.
Dry as well as fresh Jujube carry modest levels of the B-complex group of vitamins. Moreover, Jujube contains magnesium, potassium, manganese and phosphorus.
CHINESE RED DATES HEALTH BENEFITS
- strengthen the immune system (anti cancer abilities, fighting diseases),
- help sleep and rest better,
- cure nervousness (they have uplifting and calming properties),
- help in indigestion (good for chronic constipation, improve digestion power),
- stabilizes blood pressure.
- If you want to buy whole dry fruits, chose one, which are dark red with the good consistency (pretty hard and filled in).
- Do not eat too many of red dates (at most 10 dates). Overeating can cause bloating and diarrhea.
- In China the fresh Jujube are available from July till the end of November. While dry, voila, you can get at any time, as they can store well for several months.
- Dry Chinese Red Dates are also commonly used in a tea. Take 3 or 4 dates, squeeze them slightly and pour with hot water. Drink hot/warm.